Skip to main content

1:00 PM Season Finale
String Ensembles and Associate Orchestra

CYS will present its final season concert featuring both the Associate Orchestra and the Virtuosi and Intermezzi String Ensembles at 1:00 PM on May 19 at Cañada College. Maestra Kati Kyme will lead the Intermezzi Strings in works by Elgar, Malinowski, and Mozart, and feature works by C.P.E. Bach, Pejačević, and Tchaikovsky performed by the Virtuosi Strings. Maestro Eylar is delighted to feature not one, not two, but three Associate Orchestra Concerto Competition winners who will be showcased at this final season concert. Concertmaster Dylan Chua will dazzle audience members with his virtuosic display in Sarasate’s Zigeunerweisen (“Gypsy Airs”), and Associate Orchestra percussionist Darren Gao will play the 1st movement “One World” from Chin-Cheng Lin’s Marimba Concerto. The piccolo makes a rare solo visit with the scintillating finale from Antonio Vivaldi’s Piccolo Concerto in A Minor, with Henry Zhao featured on the piccolo. The Associate Orchestra leads off the concert with the brilliant March from Sergei Prokofiev’s 1919 opera The Love For Three Oranges, along with music from My Neighbor Totoro, composed by Joe Hisaishi. A special treat is also in store as we feature the percussion section performing The Battle of Hillsborough, a work composed by our very own percussion director Artie Storch. Our grand finale takes us to sunny Italy through the Russian eyes of Peter Tchaikovsky. Capriccio Italien was inspired by a journey Tchaikovsky embarked on to Rome alongside his brother Modest, seeking solace from the composer's troubled marriage with Antonina Miliukova. Tchaikovsky wrote to his patroness and friend Nadezhda von Meck:  “I have already completed the sketches for an Italian fantasia on folk tunes for which I believe a good fortune may be predicted. It will be effective, thanks to the delightful tunes which I have succeeded in assembling partly from anthologies, partly from my own ears in the streets.” Tchaikovsky’s score is a compendium of brilliant orchestral effects and colors and will be sure to impress and have you humming the tunes for quite some time! Don’t miss this eclectic and powerful final concert of the season!

Concert Highlights

Intermezzi Strings
Mozart: “Allegro di molto” from Divertimento in Bb Major
Malinowski: Fugue for Friday
Elgar: “Allegro piacevole” from Serenade for String Orchestra

Virtuosi Strings
C.P.E. Bach: “Allegro di molto” from Symphony in G Major
Pejačević: Erinnerung, Op 24
Tchaikovsky: “Andante - Allegro con spirito” from Serenade for Strings

Associate Orchestra
Prokofiev: "March" from The Love for Three Oranges
Sarasate: Zigeunerweisen (Gypsy Airs) (Dylan Chua, violin)
Lin: “One World” from Marimba Concerto No. 1 (Darren Gao, marimba)
Hisaishi: My Neighbor Totoro
Vivaldi: “Allegro” from Piccolo Concerto in A minor, RV 445 (Henry Zhao, piccolo)
Storch: The Battle of Hillsborough (CYS Percussion Section)
Tchaikovsky: Capriccio Italien

Associate Orchestra Concerto Competition Winners

Henry Zhao, 18, is a senior at Mission San Jose High School. He has played the flute for 8 years and piccolo for 6 years, and he currently studies under the tutelage of Professor Isabelle Chapuis. 

READ MORE

Dylan Chua is a 14-year-old 8th grader attending Iron Horse Middle School at San Ramon. He began learning violin at 6 and is currently learning with Mrs. Ju-Yi Peng. 

READ MORE

An active percussionist in the Bay Area, 15-year-old Darren Gao is a sophomore at Lynbrook High School and a first-year member of the CYS program. 

READ MORE

Associate Orchestra Concerto Competition

California Youth Symphony's annual CONCERTO COMPETITION for the Associate Orchestra offers its current students a special challenge and an opportunity for public recognition. All students in the Associate Orchestra are encouraged to compete.